Great Tree is blessed with a wonderful temple and grounds in which to practice. We are fortunate to have 6.5 mountain ridge acres to maintain and nurture.
Being of service is a practice in and of itself.
The purpose is to work mindfully and be in the moment, not to get the job done quickly or hurry through it.
If you’d like an extra opportunity for this kind of practice, please read below and contact us.
Time for meditation is always available as an optional part of your volunteer time.
There are endless opportunities! You can offer to help weekly, monthly, quarterly OR now-and-then for special projects. Also, there are some jobs that can be done from your home that may not be listed below.
Most needed right now are:
- Downed trees to be cleared through the woods; includes clearing brush and using a chainsaw, configuring walking trails and maintenance
- A few people to commit to mowing the grass 1-2 times/month (lawn mower provided)
- Garden watering, weeding, planting – we have a small garden, we’ like to see it grow!
- Technology – oversite for our computer systems, website, email
- Facility – repairs to appliances, light plumbing, painting, or carpentry
- Fundraising – assist with year end craft-bake sale, special events prep & cooking
- Help with shopping. Live in town, pick up and deliver groceries
- Assist with regular cleaning of facility
- Experienced macrobiotic cook for sesshin and retreats
- Assist team with bulk mailings 4-5 times/year
- Help writing, editing and distribution of newsletter
- Assist with email updates and other communications
- Fundraising – work with Development Committee on specific projects
Board members Needed – Members of the Board of Directors are volunteers. for a term of 2 years. which is renewable. Great Tree’s Board of Directors needs has three spaces open for volunteers at this time (December 20111).Board Members meet monthly throughout the year and participate in strategic planning and in advisory capacity to the Abbess.
Do you have special skills or experience in planning, marketing, administration, fundraising? Think about sharing them with Great Tree and help us build our community.
Schedule of Work Days and Sangha Activities
There are a number of other unique projects that may be suited to a particular skill you would like to share. Therefore please don’t hesitate to inquire about other projects that might fulfill your interests better than those listed here.
How You Can Help
Send an email , our contact form, and specify what you’re interested in, your level of experience, and when you are available to volunteer. Please be aware our staff is made up of volunteers and residents.
Upon receiving your email, one of our volunteer coordinators will contact you within 5 days.