Great Tree is blessed with a wonderful temple and grounds in which to practice. We are fortunate to have 6.5 mountain ridge acres to maintain and nurture.
Being of service is a practice in and of itself.
The purpose is to work mindfully and be in the moment, to embed practice into everyday life. If you’d like an extra opportunity for this kind of practice, please read below and contact us.
Time for meditation is always available as an optional part of your volunteer time. Almost all retreats entail some aspect of mindful service work as part of the practice of Sangha – community, one of the Three Treasures.
There are endless opportunities! You can offer to help weekly, monthly, quarterly OR now-and-then for special projects. Also, there are some jobs that can be done from your home that may not be listed below. Many involve good stewardship of our facility and grounds or help with fundraising and special events.
- Downed trees to be cleared through the woods; includes clearing brush or mowing – configuring walking trails and maintenance
- Garden watering, weeding, planting – we have a small garden, we’ like to see it grow! We plan for fruit trees and meditation garden.
- Facility – repairs to appliances, light plumbing, painting, or carpentry
- Fundraising – assist with year end craft-bake sale, special events prep & cooking
- Assist with regular cleaning or repairs for facilities.
- Assist team with bulk mailings 4-5 times/year
- Help writing, editing and distribution of newsletter
- Board members Needed – Members of the Board of Directors are volunteers. for a term of 2 years. which is renewable. Great Tree’s Board of Directors needs has three spaces open for volunteers at this time (December 20111).Board Members meet monthly throughout the year and participate in strategic planning and in advisory capacity to the Abbess. Do you have special skills or experience in planning, marketing, administration, fundraising? Think about sharing them with Great Tree and help us build within.
There are a number of other unique projects that may be suited to a particular skill you would like to share. Therefore please don’t hesitate to inquire about other projects that might fulfill your interests better than those listed here.